For example, if a will was made by a person who suffered dementia, their last will may be invalid and a previous will could apply. Equally, if they were under the undue influence of another person when drafting their will, it may be invalid.

No matter where you are in your relationship, property agreements are a great tool to ensure you and your partner protect your respective property rights and create certainty in the event of separation

The deceased person may also have failed to fairly recognise a family member entitled to a share in their estate. This family member may have a claim under the Family Protection Act, or if they were a partner, the Property (Relationships) Act. Even if you are not entitled to claim under either of the above two Acts you may have a claim because the deceased promised to leave you something in return for services you provided.

If the deceased failed to leave you the asset as promised, even though you provided the services, you may have a claim under the Law Reform (Testamentary Promises) Act. We can help you ascertain the strength of your claim, and enforce your rights as necessary.