When a couple separate, many issues arise, however we can help you navigate these issues with empathy and understanding.

Michael and Amanda web res

If parties are in a qualifying relationship and have not signed any properly executed agreements under the Property (Relationships) Act 1976 detailing the status and ownership of their assets, they will be governed by the rules set out in that Act, including equal division of relationship property.

There are also, possibilities for the sharing of increases in separate property that have occurred during the relationship, along with perhaps adjustment/compensation where the living standards and income of one party is significantly higher than the other as the result of the way each party's roles were divided during the relationship.

There may also be issues of spousal maintenance where one party cannot meet their reasonable needs and it is reasonable to expect the other party to contribute to the shortfall (and they are in a position to do so).

Where there are children involved there also may be issues around child care and contact. Additionally, child support payments may be required.

Parties to a relationship can reach their own agreements on a separation but to be binding these agreements must be completed through solicitors from different firms, one acting for each party.

Please get in touch with our team for advice and we will help you put an agreement in place which allows you to move onto the next stage of your life.